21 Dec Estate Planning Goals
What should you know about estate planning?
When it comes to estate planning, there are some points that you should take into consideration. Estate planning is continuous. Start estate planning as soon as you have assets that can be measured. Having an estate plan is crucial. You don’t want to be in the position of not having an estate plan.
Now that you know more about estate planning, what else is necessary to consider?
Here are some estate planning goals that may apply to you:
- Create a last will and testament. It is vital that you do this.
- Name the fiduciaries who are going to be handling your minor children’s assets.
- Ensure that all your essential documents are kept in a safe place. Be aware of where all your important documents are. The last thing you want to happen is to lose all the documents that you need the most.
- Avoid probate.
- Make sure that your assets are owned properly.
- Prevent your children and grandchildren from being unintentionally disinherited.
- Ensure that your surviving spouse is able to pay the bills.
- Keep the peace in your blended family.
These estate planning goals are all necessary for you to think about. Think about the goals that are imperative for your estate plan. It is up to you to decide which of these goals are suitable for your unique estate plan. Make sure that you have an estate plan in place for your future.
DR MERVIN MESSIAS
JD (Juris Doctor) / BA, LLB (Wits) / TEP (Trust & Estate Practitioner) / MTP (Master Tax Practitioner – S.A)